Post Graduate work permit

Post Graduate work permit: International students in Canada may be eligible for a post-graduation work permit that allows them to work as a full-time employee for up to 3 years.

You can apply for a post-graduation work permit (PGWP) from inside Canada or overseas, as long as you’re eligible.

Processing requirements

To become eligible for a PGWP you should be graduated from a designated learning institute (DLI). It is highly advisable for international students to check the DLI list to check the eligibility of programs they are planning to appear in.

Designated learning institutions

A designated learning institution is approved by a provincial or territorial government to host international students.

If you’re planning to attend a post-secondary school, make sure it is on the DLI list.

The best part of the DLI list is, it will let you know if your designated learning institution offers programs that will make you eligible for a post-graduation work permit.

To check the DLI list, click here

When to apply for a Post Graduate work permit

As an international student, you have 180 days time after you get your final marks to apply for a PGWP. You can’t work until your study permit and work permit have been approved.

You have up to 180 days to apply for a PGWP after you get your

  • degree
  • diploma
  • transcript, or
  • an official letter from your school

In case your study visa gets expire before getting final marks then you have two options:

  • you can apply for a visitor record to extend your stay in Canada; or
  • leave Canada and apply for your post-graduate work permit from home country

If your study permit expires before you apply for a post-graduate work permit then you have only 90 days after your study permit expires to apply for this visa and restore your status as a student.

Important: Make sure your passport is valid for the entire duration of your post-graduate work permit. If your passport expires earlier than your post-graduation work permit then your work permit will be valid until your passport expires.

How long PGWP is valid?

It depends on the length of your study program. It can be valid for up to 3 years. You’re not eligible for a PGWP if your study program is less than 8 months.

Who is not eligible for PGWP?

You aren’t eligible for a post-graduate work permit if you

  • already received your PGWP
  • studied English or French as a second language
  • completed the majority of a study program by distance learning
  • participated in the Government of Canada Awards Program funded by Global Affairs Canada
  • participated in the Canada-China Scholars’ Exchanges Program
Application Fee

$255 CAN for this work permit application

Processing time

Processing time for PGWP is 52 days

How to apply?

To apply for a post-graduate work permit, you need

  • an official letter from your school that confirms you’ve completed your study program
  • an official transcript

Mode of application depends on where you’re applying from, though in most of the cases applicants apply online as there multiple benefits of applying online such as:

  • no courier fees or mail delivery time
  • your application may be processed more quickly.
  • It helps you make sure your application is complete.
  • you can quickly submit more documents online.
  • track application status directly from your online account.

To apply online click here and create your account to submit an online application.

You can create your login by using GC Key user ID and password or you can create your login credentials using Sign-In Partners.

We hope this article will help you in clearing all the doubts about the post graduate work permit and takes you a step closer to your dream of working in Canada

At Blogimmi, we help applicants to travel, study, and settle abroad by connecting them to their preferred destinations. We eliminate the frustration with complex application procedures by streamlining the process with our fully online on-demand consulting.

Our advisors are ready to answer your queries 24/7. If you have any questions, feel free to reach us by email or phone call.

Thank you!

Leave a Reply

USD United States (US) dollar